The following offer great deals for UK holiday makers heading to Norway:
- Nordic Visitor: short breaks, self-drive breaks, railway holidays, fjord cruises, independent self-guided tours - all sorts of Norwegian holiday options are on offer
- G Adventures: guided small group tours taking in the best Norway has to offer, tours last 7-15 days
- Cruise.co.uk: good selection of Norwegian summertime cruise holidays
- ebookers.com: create your own holiday: good for Oslo flight plus hotel offers
British Airways, Norwegian and Scandinavian Airlines provide direct flights from London, Manchester and Edinburgh to Oslo International Airport.
In addition, Ryanair fly to two further-away airports in Norway - to Oslo Rygge Airport (around 60km from Oslo itself) from London Stansted, Manchester and Edinburgh. And they fly to Oslo Torp Airport (around 120km from Oslo city centre) from London Stansted and Liverpool.
- OSLO: The capital’s city centre attractions include Akershus Fortress (aka Akershus Castle), Oslo City Hall (with some nice Norwegian art inside, free entrance), Oslo Cathedral and the famous Nobel Peace Center. Art-lovers will enjoy a trip to the National Museum of Art, Architecture & Design as well as the Munch Museum, which houses Edvard Munch's art. Hopping on a short ferry crossing from central Oslo to the peninsula of Bygdøy will bring you to a number of Oslo’s top attractions including the Norwegian Folk Museum, the Viking Ship Museum, the Norwegian Maritime Museum, the Fram Museum (which tells the story of Norwegian polar expeditions) and the inspiring Kon-Tiki Museum. A trip to the Holmenkollen Ski Museum could be good even if you’re not doing any actual skiing in Norway. The Oslo Reptile Park may be fun for the kids. Finally, relax whilst wandering amongst 200 sculptures made from bronze, granite and cast iron in the Vigeland Sculpture Park. [For more info, see the Oslo Tourist Board website].
- BERGEN: Norway's second largest city enjoys a spectacular setting surrounded by hills. Enjoy the harbourside area with its fresh food and fish markets, plus plenty of shops, bars and restaurants. For some culture and history, visit the Hanseatic Museum, the Bryggens Museum (featuring exhibitions showing local medieval life) and the Rasmus Meyer Samlinger art museum (including works by famous Norwegian artist Edvard Munch). Taking the central funicular railway to the top of Mount Floyen is good for views over the city and some pleasant walks can be enjoyed here. [For more info, see the Bergen Tourist Board website].
- FLAM VALLEY: head here by train from Bergen (a 3 hours journey) if you are short on time but want to experience some fjord scenery. Touristy Flam is a small but pleasant village where the train ends - hop off and enjoy some great hiking opportunities from here.
- TRONDHEIM in the centre of Norway can be reached by train from Oslo in around 7 hours. The largest medieval building in Scandinavia, namely the massive Nidaros Domkirche (cathedral) dominates the city centre. The Army and Resistance Museum (in the restored Archbishop's Palace), relating to Norway's experience in World War 2 is worth a visit. A recommended half-day-trip from Trondheim harbour is a ferry ride to nearby Munkholmen (Monk's Island), home to a former monastery that was then converted to a prison that then became a customs house and is now part of a recreation and parkland area - a good place to stretch your legs basically.
- TROMSO: known as the "Gateway to the Arctic", Tromso is home to two impressive cathedrals (Domkirche and the Arcic Cathedral), a great Polar Museum and Polaria (home to polar exhibits and an aquarium). Tromso is also a popular base from which to see the Northern Lights (aka Aurora Borealis).
Bergen in Norway
- The population of Norway numbers around 5 million people.
- The capital city is Oslo.
- The local currency is the Norwegian Krone.
USEFUL Norway Travel WEBSITES:
- Wikitravel: Norway Travel Guide
- Rough Guides: Travel Guide Norway
- Lonely Planet: Norway Travel Guide
- WorldAtlas: Map of Norway
- Met Office: Norway Weather Forecast